The City of Battle Ground is proud to announce that it will be the host site of a new Veterans Memorial. The City Council has directed the Park Advisory Board to work with City staff and other stakeholders in the design, development and construction of a Veterans Memorial, located at Kiwanis Park, to honor local veterans who have died in service to their country. This place of honor would provide the community not only an area for private reflection but a small gathering place for events honoring the fallen as well.
The simple design is dignified and creates an intimate feeling for private reflection. Click here to view the Veteran’s Memorial Concept plan.
There are several design elements that will be incorporated to create this feeling:
- The wall gracefully rises in an arched shape which would include the names of the fallen veterans;
- Five benches in the plaza area are dedicated to the five branches of the military;
- The burm behind the wall not only softens the look of the memorial, but acts as informal seating during events;
- The plaza area and landscape design is suitable for both large scale events and for private reflection. The project design will incorporate eco-friendly and sustainable elements to the extent possible that will reduce on-going maintenance and repair costs such as solar powered lighting and the use of certain landscaping material that will support the City’s water conservation effort.
The funding of the Veterans Memorial Project is solely dependent on public donations and contributions of in-kind services and materials. Contributions are vital in making this project a reality! Your donation will help to assure that Battle Ground’s Veterans Memorial Project will become a permanent place to honor local veterans who have died in service to their country.
Donations will provide funding for:
- Design, development and construction of the Memorial
- Purchase of materials to construct, operate and maintain the Memorial (benches, memorial wall, name placards’, flags and poles, pavers for the plaza area, lighting, landscaping features, etc)
- Host special community events honoring our veterans
Donate Today! Donations of any amount may be made online via the donation button below
OR download the donation form and mail your contribution to the Parks Foundation at PO Box 2397, Vancouver, WA 98668.
The Veterans Memorial Project is looking for people and/or businesses to donate select items, materials and services that are critical components of developing and constructing this project. A detailed list of items and materials can be found here.
Country Shindig – Live Concert and Dance
Friday, February 14, 2014
7:00 – 11:00pm
Battle Ground Community Center