On a mission to level the playing field the GOOD SPORT EQUIPMENT CONNECTION knows every child deserves access to sports and the benefits they bring. From improving academic performances to teaching fairness, to increasing copping skills, the benefits of participating in sports and physical activities are endless. New studies continue to emerge on the importance of unplugging and reengaging in sports and outdoor activities.
The GOOD SPORT EQUIPMENT CONNECTION is a new community collaboration of non-profits, corporate sponsors, and public schools working together to provide kids in Clark County the resources they need to take their position back in the game. Your donation of gently used sports equipment and financial support will help fill the budget gaps for many families and provide youth the benefits of physical activity.
Why We Do It
Youth sports participation rates have steadily declined across the nation over the past decade. Budget cuts to athletic departments and physical education programs in schools throughout the county are increasing. As a result, more and more kids are forced to site on the sidelines while the immense benefits that youth sports can provide often go unrealized.
According to sport and physical health studies:*
- Only six U.S. states currently require physical education in every grade level from K-12.
- 48% of high schools in the U.S. do not have any type of physical education program.
- 28% of kids aged 6-12 and 19% of kids aged 13- 17 years were not involved in any sort of consistent physical activity in 2012.
- According to the CDC obesity rates have more than doubled in children — and more than quadrupled in adolescents over the past 30 years, leaving more than 1/3 of the nations youth overweight or obese.
* National Association for Sport and Physical Education, American Heart Association, Sports and Fitness Industry Association and the Physical Activity Council.
Through the generous support of many sponsors and people just like you the GOOD SPORT EQUIPMENT CONNECTION is able to provide a targeted range of sporting footwear and equipment to youth throughout Clark County. The type of donations we receive determine what we are able to provide sports groups and kids in our community.
With the objective of getting as many kids off the sidelines and into the game as possible the GOOD SPORT EQUIPMENT CONNECTION is working to make the following possible:
- Increase the total amount of kids able to participate in after-school sport programs such as PAL, Evergreen Public Schools, and Vancouver Parks and Recreation’s Everybody Plays programs.
- Keep kids in the game year after year.
- Develop new programs to serve our kids in real time.
Become Part of the Solution
- Make a financial contribution.
- Click here for a list of needed items
- Contact us to host a donation bin or donation party at your work place.
- Follow us on Facebook for donation sites and program updates.
- Contact us for other ways you can support kids in sports in Clark County.
Managed through the Parks Foundation of Clark County
415 W 6th Street, PO Box 61424, Vancouver, WA 98666